Winthrop Resident Stickers
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I obtain Winthrop Resident Stickers and Placards?
Winthrop Resident Parking stickers and Visitor Placards may be obtained online at Resident parking stickers are free when ordered online. Visitor placards cost $10 each. You can pay for your purchase with a VISA, Mastercard or Discover credit or debit card. Resident stickers and placards may also be obtained by mail or at the Office of the Tax Collector, Revenue Collections, Town Hall, 1 Metcalf Square, Winthrop, MA 02152, Monday and Wednesday from 8:00am to 4:30pm and Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00am to 7:00pm.
What is the online process to get the Winthrop Resident Parking Stickers and Visitor Placards?
Once you have completed and submitted the resident sticker application, you will receive an email notification of your order. Upon verification of your information, you will receive an another email that your order has been successfully processed and mailed. Stickers will initially be mailed out starting December 1st, and thereafter, stickers will usually be mailed within a 3-5 days of receipt of your application. If there are any questions regarding your information, we will contact you.
Who should I contact if I have a question or issue?
Please call City Hall Systems at (508) 381-5456 if you have any questions regarding your online order. Any questions regarding use of the Winthrop resident parking stickers or placards, or if you need a replacement sticker, should be directed to the Winthrop tax collector at (617) 846-1750.
When and Where are the Resident Stickers and Placards required?
Residential parking stickers and placards may be used in any area designated by the town council for residential parking. Areas may be designated for residential parking in any area regardless of zoning. The residential parking sticker program will be in effect town-wide from one a.m. to five a.m., Monday through Sunday, including holidays.
What period do the Resident Stickers and Placards valid?
Resident stickers and placards are valid for the calendar year listed thereon.
How many Visitor parking placards may I purchase?
Each household may purchase one (1) visitor parking placard.
Do I need a Resident Parking Sticker to use the Resident Parking?
A valid parking permit is required to park on all town streets and municipal lots between the hours of 1:00 AM and 5:00AM, every day. The only streets that do not require a permit are private ways and Winthrop Shore Drive since it is a DCR parkway.
Why do you need my driver's license number when applying?
In order to verify your residency, handicap, and senior status, we need to use your driver's license to check our databases. We will never divulge or provide your personal information, including your driver's license number, to any third party except as may be required by law.
Do I qualify for Senior Status?
If you are a resident of Winthrop and are 65 years old or older at the time your application is filed, you qualify for the senior discounted pricing applicable to visitor placards. We require that you provide us with your driver's license number so we can verify your age. The senior pricing is only applicable for a visitor placard for the household where the senior lives, and for vehicles registered to the resident with the senior status. The senior discount does not apply to vehicles registered to other members of the household who are not seniors.
Who Qualifies as an Winthrop Resident?
A resident of Winthrop is defined as any person actually living at a street address in Winthrop. Proof of residency is required to obtain resident stickers. No P.O. boxes are accepted. Proof of residency can be established by two of the the following: a driver's license, car registration, tax or utility bill, lease or other document establishing residency. If applying via the online system, applicants shall provide both their driver's license number and registration number(s) as proof of residency and vehicle eligibility.
How can I obtain a Temporary Placard?
Temporary placards may be obtained from the Town Tax Collector's Office. If you need a temporary placard and Town Hall is closed, you may obtain one at the Police Department. If you need a temparary placard for boating purposes, you may obtain one from the Harbormaster's Office.
What are the Winthrop Parking Rules and Regulations?
Information about the Winthrop parking rules and regulations can be obtained from the Town of Winthrop website at, including the Winthrop resident parking ordinance. The site also contains additional information concerning parking stickers or placards.
What do I do if I need Replacement Stickers or Placards?
If you need a replacement sticker, please visit the Winthrop tax collector's office for assistance. There is no charge for replacement stickers if the original sticker or fragments thereof including the sticker number are returned. If the original sticker is not returned, the application will be processed as a new sticker. Lost, stolen, or damaged visitor placards may only be replaced through the revenue collections department.
What types of vehicles are eligible for a resident sticker?
Passenger vehicles with a valid Massachusetts registration are eligible for a resident sticker. Taxi cabs, livery vehicles, a vehicle with a commercial registration, a bus or camper over twenty-five (25) feet in length, a vehicle with a dealer or repair plate, and a trailer not attached to a vehicle with a parking sticker are all ineligible for a resident sticker. Additionally, these prohibited vehicles may not use a visitor’s placard.
How long can someone use a Visitor Placard?
A visitor placard cannot be used for more than three (3) consecutive nights, or in repeated non-consecutive use, currently defined as no more than three (3) nights in a fourteen (14) day period. Additionally, a visitor placard cannot be used on a vehicle owned or operated by a Winthrop resident.

If you have any questions, please call City Hall Systems (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) at 508-381-5456
or email us at

Winthrop Town Hall · 1 Metcalf Square, Winthrop, MA 02152 · (617) 846-1750